Tuesday, 11 June 2013

Edinburgh College of Art Degree Show 2013!

Had a pretty busy weekend of it but managed to squeeze in visit to the ECA Degree Show, so here's a few things I saw which impressed or made me smile, both important qualities when I'm looking at art!

So first up I stumbled into the illustration room and Tom Kindley's colourfull zines and prints. His work stood out with its bright colours and distinctive style, I was hoping to get a copy of his Trials of Hercales fold zine (below) which would sit nicely next to some of my Nobrow books. Most of his work seems to be based around ancient myths and stories like 'Club Minos' which he brings up to date with his cool characters. Check his ongoing projects via his website here!



In a similar vein Dominic Kesterton's work seemed to be treading its own path as apposed to proving he can illustrate twee designs for tea towels, instead he mixes up colours and shape along with his own distinctive characters. The weird ninja shoot picking character in the centre (below) really got my attention along with his blue & red print. His work was also on display at Analogue Books as part of their Hazy Maze Cave show last year, starting to join up a few more dots! Some cool work and you can find more on Dominic's blog here!



The paper cut moths by Anine Boeseberg's obviously appealed and looked rather stunning. She'd created a few different bugs in different sizes which were framed along with a selection of her print work. Her 'Houses' series perfectly shows her illustration style and beautiful use of colour to create images that go beyond what you see on the page but exude an aura of a different time and place. Lovely stuff!



Finally from MFA Illustration we have Caroline Halliwell. Caroline is actually an old friend and has submitted work for some exhibitions I'd organised way back and its amazing to see how her work has developed and evolved during her time at ECA. Her geometric hanging pieces looked great along with her plywood fish works. Her mandala piece (below) really stood out on her website and showcases her amazing style!



We made our way along to the sculpture room and walked into a forest of blue trees created by Abigail McPaul. Each tree has been delicately hand coloured with what looked like a blue powder or pigment, a really stunning shade which stands at odds with the natural colour and forms of the trees.



Sally Sears-Black had a rather interesting piece which consisted of various objects, broom handles, hammers and crates strewn across the floor. Normal everyday things except for the 4 arms sticking out the walls! The arms flayed about, looking for objects to interact with so I obliged and handed each had something to hold. Quite a funny piece but there was a nice moment when two of the hands found each other and just held each other for a moment. Surreal and beautiful!


Probably my favourite piece was the confetti room! We walked in to a dimly lit space with tissue paper trailing from the roof, a floor strewn with confetti and a circular fan blowing up wards. As soon as we threw our first hand full of confetti onto the fan we knew fun times were coming! It was almost magical to watch as the confetti blew up around you like a cloud of joy, I think we spent about 10 minutes just doing it over and over again. We even tried to get the music playing to make it feel more like a party but the mini iPod was dead. We had a lot of fun anyway! I've tried to find out who the artist is but all my searches have been unsuccessful. Hopefully the artist can find this and likes how much Siobhan is enjoying herself!



Next we stumbled into a rather colourful room of Melanie Davies. Her colourful seaweed foliage appeared to have sprouted from invisible cracks in the walls and a quaint alcove had been transformed into a blue cave of wonders! Small barnacle like pieces were arranged in different formations across the floor, each hand crafted and arranged. I got a really good feeling in this room and would have been happy to spend a bit longer chilling in the cave but alas we had more work to check out before doors closed!



Dennis J Reinmuller's 'Player 1' piece stood out for obvious reasons. Not everyday you get to walk into a beat em up computer game.



I loved Rebecca Ashworth's giant fork, bent out of shape complete with some giant garden peas. I liked the health warning not to climb on the giant fork as it might fall and break you! It was pretty big so I wouldn't have messed with it, I did try to lick one of the peas though. Nice to see work on such a grand scale.



My favourite work came from Kyle Noble who's sketched on skulls and ancient artifacts arrangement really stood out. Also his paintings combined elements of geometry, almost Japanese style trees and mixed backgrounds which reminded me of Gregory Euclide's work. And they were big paintings in a dark room, they stood out well with the spot lights on them. I would love to see some more detailed shots of the skulls but will have to settle for the iPhone shot I took below. 


Normally I wouldn't say much about Architecture as its not a field I know much about but, the displays and models from ECA were some of the best I've seen! The displays were well crafted, clear invisibly hung shelves held objects of interest while the models became works of art in themselves, the Mosque design (below) in particular blew me away with it use of laser cut boards to create patterns all interwoven with what must be hundreds of meters of thread. To see more have a scroll through the students work on the ECA Architecture students site.



So that's the best of what I managed to see with Siobhan. Through trying to find links to all the artists websites via the ECA site I've seen a few things I'd have liked to see properly so I'm going to do a second post based around the online findings from these missed artists. It'll also be a chance to test how good they've been at getting their work online, I've found some artist's like to keep their online presence to a minimum which is nice in some ways and annoying in others!